Have you ever freaked out? Life feels out of control and you don’t know what to do so you WIG OUT!
But what does that even mean…to “freak out”? It’s a slang term that means you lose emotional control and possibly even resort to irrational behavior…
Oh, you know the feeling…your blood starts to boil, your eyes start to jiggle and your hands start trembling…she’s about to blow…everyone take cover…
I bet you can hear the music in your head right now…
“Aaahh freak out!
Le freak, see’est Chic
Aaahh freak out!
Le freak, see’est Chic
Nothing good ever comes out of a freak out…
Instead of wigging out when life gets hairy, do this instead:
- Feel your feelings. Yes, I know I sound like a broken record. If you’ve read previous blog posts, I’m always telling you to “feel your feelings”. But it works…it releases the pent-up energy of the emotions that you’ve been stuffing. Emotions are like a river with a flow. When you deny yourself the freedom to feel your feelings, you stuff them and become like the Dead Sea – no inlet and no outlet. Nothing lives in the Dead Sea.
- Breath. Breathing reignites the flow in your body. It gets things moving again.
- Re-evaluate the situation. Maybe things are not as bad as you thought. Maybe there’s a solution that you hadn’t seen before. Step back. Remove yourself from the situation and look at the big picture.
- Control the things you have control over. There are things that you can control. Get out pen and paper and make a list of what you can control. Begin to implement one thing at a time. Take action over what you can take action over.
- Let go of the rest. Release the need to control what is out of your control. I used to have a strong dislike for the word, “surrender”. There are times that we need to make like Queen Elsa in Frozen and “LET IT GO…” but to surrender made me feel powerless and out of control. Sometimes a word can mess us up. So, I looked up another word that meant the same thing. To acquiesce means the same thing but it sounds so much more elegant. Acquiesce to the things that you have no control over and you won’t feel the need to freak out.
Remember, you are a powerful chooser over your emotions. You have the power to manage the energy in motion that is flowing through your body.
Don’t wig out when life gets hairy!
I help ordinary women find their extraordinary, pursue their purpose and change the world. Get your free training on How Discovering Your Purpose will change the game HERE!