“All the Feels” – 5 Steps to Managing Your Emotions
[cmsmasters_row data_padding_bottom_mobile_v=”0″ data_padding_top_mobile_v=”0″ data_padding_bottom_mobile_h=”0″ data_padding_top_mobile_h=”0″ data_padding_bottom_tablet=”0″ data_padding_top_tablet=”0″ data_padding_bottom_laptop=”0″ data_padding_top_laptop=”0″ data_padding_bottom_large=”0″ data_padding_top_large=”0″ data_padding_bottom=”50″ data_padding_top=”0″ data_bg_parallax_ratio=”0.5″ data_bg_size=”cover” data_bg_attachment=”scroll” data_bg_repeat=”no-repeat” data_bg_position=”top center” data_color=”default” data_bot_style=”default” data_top_style=”default” data_padding_right=”3″ data_padding_left=”3″ data_width=”boxed” data_shortcode_id=”huphtkdn91″][cmsmasters_column data_width=”1/1″ data_animation_delay=”0″ data_border_style=”default” data_bg_size=”cover” data_bg_attachment=”scroll” data_bg_repeat=”no-repeat” data_bg_position=”top center” data_shortcode_id=”i8ix12i9wo”][cmsmasters_text shortcode_id=”wafoy4p8yh” animation_delay=”0″]
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart”
― Helen Keller
Have you ever felt like your emotions were running the show? Maybe you can feel so much that you just want to numb the feeling…
What is an emotion? An emotion, boiled down in its simplest form, is just energy in motion. Your thoughts are a form of energy and your emotions are those thoughts all wound up and flowing through your body.
For example, when you are watching a sad movie and you begin to cry about something that is not even real…
Your brain doesn’t know the difference between what is real or imagined. Your brain sees the movie and you feel the emotions of the characters which activates your emotions. It stirs up the energy and that energy tarts to flow through your body.
In working with women on a daily basis, a common thread of belief is that you do not have control over your emotions. You feel powerless over the surges of emotion flowing through your body. You own the feeling and then define yourself by that feeling. (“I am mad.” “I am so sad.” “I am happy.”) They erupt and splatter over whoever is standing by.
I want to offer a new idea…you are not your emotions. You have emotions and you do emotions; however, your emotions do not define who you are at your core. Your emotions were given to you to bless you, not to control you. Emotions can provide a warning signal, an environmental change, or even bring connection. As a powerful chooser, you have the ability to manage your emotions, rather than be controlled by them.
Here are five ways to mange your emotions more effectively:
- You are not your emotions. You have emotions and you do emotions; however, your emotions do not define who you are at your core. Your emotions were given to you to bless you, not to control you. Emotions can provide a warning signal, an environmental change, or even bring connection. As a powerful chooser, you have the ability to manage your emotions, rather than be controlled by them.
- Feel your emotions. Once you allow yourself the freedom to feel the emotion, then you decide what you want to do about it. Do you want to feel it and let it flow through your body or do you want to take a deep breath and let it pass through you? Whatever your resist, persists. Avoided emotions are energy that gets trapped in your body. The energy in motion, better known as your emotions are meant to flow through your body and then pass through your body.
- Get curious about your emotions. Challenge your emotions. They are not always accurate and some of the emotions you are feeling belong to other people.
- Re-script the story you’ve told yourself. When you feel an emotion, you instantly tell yourself a story about the way things are. What is that story? If someone yells at you, you may feel degraded and tell yourself that there is something about you.
- You can choose your emotions. You are a powerful chooser. You are not a victim to your emotions. They are not more powerful than you. At the same time that anger or sadness are available to you, so are joy and peace. You have just been conditioned to choose one over the other.
Five questions to ask yourself:
- What is the event that stirred the emotion?
- What’s the story I told myself about myself in that moment?
- What did you decide in that moment?
- What else could be true?
- How do I feel now?
Feel your feelings. Own your feelings. You are a powerful chooser. Practice choosing your emotions. They were given as a gift to you to bless you. As long as you are feeling…you are alive!
My coach told me, “In the absence of support, environment wins.” If you are an ordinary woman, longing to find your extraordinary, pursue your purpose and change the world, schedule a complimentary Clarity Call and let’s talk about it…
This is your moment in time to be supported…this is your season to rise up and govern your life well!
Schedule your call HERE!
It’s time to live with “all the feels”!